Marbled eggs are a common decoration at Chinese banquets. If you’re looking to add something special to celebrate the ringing in of Lunar New Year on Feb 5, this would make a nice appetizer. They really do look like marble but they’re as edible as hard-boiled eggs. Tea is the secret!
Chinese New Year Marbled Tea Eggs
- 3 cups water
- 6 eggs
- 4 teaspoons russian caravan tea (or Lapsang Souchong)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Bring eggs to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water. When eggs are cool, tap with a spoon all over to crack but DO NOT remove the shell.
- Add eggs back into the water and add tea. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep for another 45 minutes in the tea.
- Remove the shells. The eggs will have veins of color just like marble :) Bon Appetit!